Did you know??
“Our stomach lining gets renewed every three to four days. If this does not happen then it might lead to serious issues, because the strong acids produced by our stomach can digest our stomach as well.”
Gastritis may be very common like a cold or flu. Gastritis is caused by the inflammation,erosion or irritation of the lining of the stomach.
There are two types:
- Acute (occurring suddenly)
- Chronic (occurring gradually)
CAUSES OF GASTRITIS:
- It is commonly caused by bacteria. If left untreated may result in ulcer or stomach cancer in rare cases.
- A back-flow of bile into stomach from bile tract called bile re flux can be a cause for gastritis.
- In some cases stomach lacks an element that absorbs and digests vitamin B12 such a anemia can also result in gastritis.
COMMON SYMPTOMS OF GASTRITIS:
- Frequent stomach upset.
- Abdominal pain and bloating.
- Burning sensation in stomach.
- Loss of appetite.
If you find these symptoms then it is better to consult a General Physician. If the condition is left untreated then it may worsen your problem and in rare cases it increases the chances of getting a stomach cancer.
Usually the diagnosis is done by upper endoscopy and with samples of blood and stools.
Treatment for Gastritis:
Usually a combination of antibiotics and antacids are prescribed. Can also be treated using proton pump inhibitors or histamine blockers. The treatment is always different for each based on the cause of gastritis of an individual.
DIET FOR GASTRITIS:
It is always sure that a good diet can ease your problem. By choosing a better diet one can overcome the side effects of a gastritis like stomach irritation , bloating etc.
FOODS TO AVOID:
- No foods that increase the stomach acid should be taken.
- Beverages like peppermint, coffee, green or black tea, alcohol, orange and grape juice.
- spices like pepper, chilly etc.
- Dairy products tangy foods, high fat meals.
If you limit the intake of these above said foods then you can avoid the further worsening of your condition.
FOODS TO EAT:
You can eat a variety of healthy foods. The following are some which is best suited to eat which may relieve you and avoid further worsening,
- Fiber rich foods, fruits, vegetables, low fat dairy products, cereals, grains etc.
- Lean meat,chicken, fish , eggs, nuts can also be taken.
- You can include healthy fat to your diet like olive oil and canola oil.
A best diet practice can avoid gastritis and its effects gradually.
- Stop eating at-least 2 hours before you go to sleep.
- It is always advised not to skip a meal
- Eat small meals and avoid large meals, you can frequently have small meals so it will make your digestion process easier compared to a large meal.